Week 11 Prompt

 Week 11 Prompt

    To be honest, I am not much of an audiobook or ebook reader. I used to have a kindle when I was younger, but I haven't used it in years. I have tried to get into both ebooks and audiobooks because I admit that they are both very convenient. Spotify Premium offers so many free audiobooks, and I have a forty  minute commute to work, so I literally have the perfect opportunity to use this tool, yet I never do. I also think that Libby is a great resource. I have put multiple books on hold through Libby, yet I haven't read any of them. Honestly, I just love having the physical book in my hands. I don't know why exactly that is, but having the physical version in my hands and flipping through it makes me so happy. 

    I think that not holding the physical book definitely has some sort of impact. First off, you never can truly know the size of the book that you are reading. Part of the gratification with a physical book is feeling how far you are in the book. As far as changing the font, spacing, and the color of text on an ebook, I never had really thought of this before. I do believe that altering the default font settings changes the tone and pace. I find this idea so interesting, the idea of altering the font settings. I believe that changing the color of the font would create the biggest gap between the default tone/pace. If you are reading a sad, heart-wrenching book, I am sure that a blue feminine font would alter that tone and/or pace. 

    As for audiobooks, I actually do understand how the narrator can make or break a story. A few of my siblings just recently told me that the audiobook version of None of This is True by Lisa Jewell is wonderful. They have said that the narrator does a great job, and it makes the book fun and exciting to listen to. For a story like that one, the audiobook version would flop if the narrator was boring and monotone. Therefore, yes I fully agree that the narrator plays a huge part in audiobooks and the success of them. 

    To conclude, I do believe that ebooks and audiobooks are a great resource. For people with a busy life, those who may not have much time to sit down and read a physical book, audiobooks to and from work may be a great option for them. For those that can't physically hold up a book, they may prefer reading on an electronic device. Both of these resources have so many appeals and benefits they offer. I believe that the rise of audiobooks and ebooks is wonderful! It is getting a lot of people who don't normally read, to do just that. Personally, I am just a physical book lover, and I am not sure that will change. Although, I am always down to try something new! 

Comments

  1. As someone who hadn't read a physical book in years for pleasure (only for school) discovering ebooks was life-changing for me and really aided me in finding my love of reading again. I don't know why, but it was so just much easier for me to use Libby and have access to it on my phone and Kindle wherever I am. Personally, I've never felt that changing the font size or line spacing changes the pace, I'm just reading to enjoy myself. While I still love having a physical book, the ease of ebooks make them my preferred method of reading right now. Thank you for your insight! Always interesting to read another perspective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really want to push myself to enjoy ebooks the way that you do. I use Libby, and whenever I have a book ready for me, I find myself giving it the next person. Maybe I will finally give it a try!

      Delete
  2. It took me a long time to try audiobooks and like you, I prefer physical over digital. I am so happy that so many other people love and benefit from the other formats though. Great response!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts