Novelist Blog Post

 Week Three Prompt Response

1. I am looking for a book by Laurell K. Hamilton. I just read the third book in the Anita Blake series and I can’t figure out which one comes next!

- The Lunatic Cafe is the next book in the series. 

2. What have I read recently? Well, I just finished this great book by Barbara Kingsolver, Prodigal Summer. I really liked the way it was written, you know, the way she used language. I wouldn't mind something a bit faster paced though.

- I would recommend either Anthill by Edward O. Wilson or The History of Bees by Maja Lunde. Wilson does a great job at providing great details in this story, while also emphasizing the interactions that the characters have with the environment. In The History of Bees, Lunde includes rich detail and descriptions throughout the story. 

3. I like reading books set in different countries. I just read one set in China, could you help me find one set in Japan? No, not modern – historical. I like it when the author describes it so much it feels like I was there!

- I would recommend Pachinko by Min Jin Lee. This book is historical fiction and takes place in Japan in the early 1900s. 

4. I read this great mystery by Elizabeth George called Well-Schooled in Murder and I loved it. Then my dentist said that if I liked mysteries I would probably like John Sandford, but boy was he creepy I couldn't finish it! Do you have any suggestions?

- I would recommend A Possibility of Violence by Dror Mishani. This book also takes place in a school setting and has some of the same themes as Well-Schooled in Murder. 

5. My husband has really gotten into zombies lately. He’s already read The Walking Dead and World War Z, is there anything else you can recommend?

- I would recommend The Gone-Away World by Nick Harkaway. This book touches on the same ideas that World War Z does in regards to the fall out after a zombie apocalypse. 

6. I love books that get turned into movies, especially literary ones. Can you recommend some? Nothing too old, maybe just those from the last 5 years or so.

- I would recommend either Before the coffee gets cold by Toshikazu Kawaguchi or Tom Lake Ann Patchett. Both of these books are very popular literary fiction books that were published within the past couple of years. 

7. I love thrillers but I hate foul language and sex scenes. I want something clean and fast paced.

- I would recommend Throwaway Girls by Andrea Contos, as well as Blink by Sasha Dawn. Both of these books are great thriller choices, and both are quite clean reads. 

Comments

  1. Great book titles recs - I think they would all fit the bill. What resources did you use to find the books?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used Novelist! Once I had my eye on a few resources, I did some Google searching to solidify my choices.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts